Sunday, August 26, 2012

Changing Chapters


One year ago I decided to it was time to take control of my life rather than allow it to control me.  Goals felt like a commodity I couldn’t afford.  Dreams were something from a movie.  Mr. Scrooge and I partnered in our outlook on life.  Bah Humbug!   This journey has been a walk of blind faith.  I won’t rehash what I’ve already discussed in previous posts.  This journey stretched me.  My determination has been tested.  The stubbornness that has always been my nemesis became my companion and friend.

In late July I received a text message alerting me that my dream teaching position may be available.  .  Life presented me with an epic challenge.  Would I dare to imagine my dream could blossom into a reality?  Welcome to the proverbial 11th hour.  

The next thing I knew Monday morning dawned with an early morning interview.  There were 5 of them and only one of me, but I felt strangely confident and at ease.  Two days, a sleepless night, and 10 chewed nails later I received a phone call from a representative at the ISD HR office informing me that I had been recommended for a position.  We scheduled a time for me to come in, and I requested permission to ask a potentially stupid question.  I asked, “Does this mean I got the job?”  It did, and I do! 

In typical Hannah fashion, my entire life changed in only a few days.  Only a month ago I silently dreamed about teaching this school year.  Tomorrow, I step into the classroom that I painstakingly prepared over the past 16 days.  This year holds adventure, excitement, and exhaustion like I’ve not experienced.  Today I have no children.  Tomorrow I will have 184.  The struggle of this journey holds the massive doubts at bay. 

Tonight I will lay my head down as just another person.  Tomorrow, I’ll wake up a teacher.  My determination endured a boot camp. Now, it enters a war.  Bring it on!

1 comment: