Monday, October 25, 2010

From a fishbowl?

Yes, from a fishbowl.  For years I complained about living in a fishbowl, on display for everyone to see.  Is this selfish?  Possibly, but for as long as I can remember my father drilled into my head that my life is an example.  When correcting me as a child he would remind me that I had a baby sister watching and mimicking my every move and that I had to be a good example for her.  This well-intentioned parenting approach engrained in me that I am constantly an example to someone, and therefore in a fishbowl on display being observed by someone. 

Now, please do not confuse this statement with a complaint, for it is not.  Deliberation, contemplation, and intentionality all combine to serve as the additives for the fuel driving my life.  (Ok, I may have creatively made-up some words, but did not take the time to verify them.)  This "life from a fishbowl" prepared me to live life on purpose.  Live it too seriously?  Perhaps, at times.  Overall I feel that whatever I'm doing, whether enjoying an activity, working, writing, or procrastinating, is driven by a thought process concluded by a decision.  After all, I never know who may be watching, right?

The reverse side to the title of this blog refers to the glass pane from which I view and analyze the world around me as I swim round and round in my little bowl.  So, be forewarned!  At times you'll hear about life from within the bowl and what I think about life outside.

Some of you have requested many times that I start a blog.  I've fought joining this cyber-bandwagon as I fail to see any original thoughts I obtain which need to be shared.  I shared this with one of my friends who I've known most of my life when she encouraged me yet again to begin a blog.  I recall asking, "What do I need a blog for?  I don't have kids or anything important to keep up with in my life."  The answer seemed obvious to her as she very pointedly said, "Because, Hannah, you have things to say." 

Do I really?  I'm still not convinced, but I made a promise that I would begin a blog.  So, here we go.  I'm on the cyber-bandwagon.  This is my blog.

2 comments:

  1. Hannah, everyone has something to say, even if they don't have kids or feel they have anything important in their lives. God created each of us with something to say to the world and this is one of many ways to do it. I encourage you to follow others blogs as well and get ideas about things you can write about or do on your blog. I encourage you to continue. Based on this first blog, you have interesting things to say and an interesting perspective on life. Not to mention, you are a good writer. I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on being my first follower, April! Thanks for your encouragement. Writing is one of my passons. I'm always astounded when someone tells me I'm "good at it" and just a bit flattered. You made my day!

    So many of my friends have blogs that I've followed for years. Now, I'm adding my contributions too. Lol.

    ReplyDelete